Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question not covered here? Just ask: email@example.com
How much does it cost and where do I go to get registered?
- If you are a USCSA College Racer this page will show you the options for how to upgrade to a USSA Masters License and purchase a Rocky Mountain Masters memberhsip. If you are under 25 years old, race fees are only $10 per race.
- If you have never raced USSA before or you have not raced USSA in the last 5 years, the cost of your first race is only $10 plus lift ticket. See full details at rmmskiracing.org/newracer.
What do I need for race day?
- Complete USSA, RMM, and Race registrations in advance if possible. (See question above)
- Bring your bib! (if you don't already have one, you will be given one when you check in on race morning.)
- Bring your FIS approved helmet. (See question below)
- Bring your race gear.
- Check-in on race morning at the registration table:
- Verify that your name is on the start list and has the correct bib number. (look for brightly colored paper)
- Sign the liability waiver for the venue
- Purchase you lift ticket. (If you do not already have a valid lift pass.) Each venue will have a reduced racer-price ticket and differing locations on where you go to purchase them. See details on skiracereg.com, check the most recent race information email, or ask on race morning for the specifics for each venue.
Do I need a FIS certified helmet?
For the 2016-2017 season, it is RECOMMENDED that Masters use helmets that meet the new FIS standards for all USSA GS, SG and DH. Helmets which meet the new FIS standard have a sticker affixed that states “Conform to FIS Specification RH 2013” affixed by the manufacturer. Helmets MUST bear a “CE” mark and conform to one or more of the following helmet standards: CEH.Din 1077, ASTM F2040, SNELL S98 or RS98. Helmets must cover the head and ears with hard protection. Helmets with spoilers or edges that stick out are not permitted.
If you are buying a new helmet, we encourage that you purchase one with the FIS marking. We do not know what the requirement may be nest year. To compete or forerun in all other regular USSA races, stickered FIS helmets are required.
What skis do I need?
USSA recommends that competitors in USSA masters races compete on equipment designed for the particular discipline (DH, SG, GS, SL), but does not make any recommendations in regards to ski length, radius or profile width. Race stock skis are not a requirement.
Ski Racing Article by Lisa Densmore: What's the Right Ski for Masters Racing?
What are the rules for competition?
USSA Alpine Rules links to:
- USSA Alpine and Masters Rules
- FIS Alpine Rules
- Alpine Membership Rules