Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question not covered here? Just ask:

How much does it cost and where do I go to get registered?

  • If you are a USCSA College Racer this page will show you the options for how to upgrade to a USSA Masters License and purchase a Rocky Mountain Masters membership. If you are under 25 years old, race fees are only $10 per race.
  • If you have never raced USSA before or you have not raced USSA in the last 5 years, the cost of your first race is only $10 plus lift ticket. See full details at

What do I need for race day?

  • Complete USSA, RMM, and Race registrations in advance if possible. (See question above)
  • Bring your bib! (If you don't already have one, you will be given one when you check in on race morning.)
  • Bring an appropriate helmet. (See question below)
  • Bring your race gear.
  • Check-in on race morning at the registration table:

     1. Verify that your name is on the start list and has the correct bib number. (look for brightly colored paper)

     2. Sign the liability waiver for the venue (Some may be completed in advance online.)

  • Purchase you lift ticket. (If you do not already have a valid lift pass.) Each venue will have a reduced racer-price ticket and differing locations on where you go to purchase them. See details on, check the most recent race information email, or ask on race morning for the specifics for each venue.

Do I need a FIS certified helmet?

For the 2017-2018 season, it is RECOMMENDED that Masters use helmets that meet the new FIS standards for all GS, SG and DH races. Helmets which meet the new FIS standard have a sticker affixed that states “Conform to FIS Specification RH 2013” affixed by the manufacturer. Helmets MUST bear a “CE” mark and conform to one or more of the following helmet standards: CEH.Din 1077, ASTM F2040, SNELL S98 or RS98.  Helmets must cover the head and ears with hard protection. Helmets with spoilers or edges that stick out are not permitted.

If you are buying a new helmet, we encourage that you purchase one with the FIS marking. To compete or forerun in all other U.S. Ski & Snowboard races, stickered FIS helmets are required.

What skis do I need?

USSA recommends that competitors in USSA masters races compete on equipment designed for the particular discipline (DH, SG, GS, SL), but does not make any recommendations in regards to ski length, radius or profile width. Race stock skis are not a requirement.

Ski Racing Article by Lisa Densmore: What's the Right Ski for Masters Racing?

2017-2018 Equipment Recommendations (scroll to the bottom for Masters)

What are the rules for competition?

Rocky Mountain Masters Racer Rules


U. S. Ski & Snowboard and FIS Rule Links